Keys 2 Health
Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
This six-week workshop enables participants to master the skills needed to manage HIV and other chronic diseases. Program graduates use these skills for solving challenges both inside and outside the doctor’s office.
Caregivers may also participate in Keys to Health classes so that they can learn how to help their loved ones affected by HIV/AIDS to better manage their disease.
Our counselors have completed formal training at Stanford University to facilitate the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program.
A program summary conducted between 2013 and 2014 with 26 clients and family members found that, compared to baseline, Keys to Health graduates experience:
- Improvements in shortness of breath, pain, and fatigue
- Improved confidence in managing fatigue, physical discomfort, emotional distress, and other symptoms
- Less interference by their health problems in the ability to complete social activities, hobbies, and household chores
- Less discouragement, frustration, and fear about their health problems
- They more often prepare a list of questions before doctor appointments
- They more often discuss personal problems with their physicians during appointments